Friday, February 8, 2008

Breathable Waders - A Good Investment


After my last post about expensive waders (read: ones that cost as much or more than an iPod!) I do want to clarify that breathable nylon waders are absolutely worth purchasing.

I was skeptical about these when they first hit the market – mainly because they are significantly more expensive than their normal nylon counterparts. After reading a number of glowing reviews, I broke down and purchased a pair and I’ll never go back. The breathable nylon – through some scientific hocus pocus that I’ll not try to explain – really does breathe, so to speak, keeping the angler dry and comfortable. The downside to breathable nylon is that they require some extra care to keep them working properly.
I learned the hard way with my first set of breathable nylon waders. After a single season of treating them like normal waders and not following the manufacturer’s instructions, I developed a number of leaks in my waders and had to patch them repeatedly. My newest pair of breathable nylons are treated with a lot more respect and thus, have remained leak free. My advice: read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for air drying and storing your waders properly. The instructions vary among manufacturers, so I recommend just doing what they tell you.
They’re right.

No comments:

Post a Comment