Friday, February 8, 2008

Bonus Rant of the Day: $400 for Waders?!? Are You Mad?

Recently, some top shelf wader manufacturers have introduced new waders with price tags starting at $400. I want to say up front that I’m going to have to be in a MUCH higher income bracket than I’m currently in before I ever agree to spending $400 on a pair of waders. Unless those waders include a built-in fish finder in the boot and have a refrigeration unit sewn into the rear to keep me cool on a hot summer day, I’ll not be parting anytime soon with that much money for a pair of waders.

That said, the $400 waders probably are darn good waders with a lot of thoughtful features built into them. Unfortunately for the wader companies asking this kind of price, most of us just can’t justify that kind of expense for something to keep us dry, especially when there are plenty of $100-ish (or less) waders that perform admirably. Honestly, if you spend more than $100-150 for a pair of waders, you should be making some money while out there chucking lures. If you are a guide and spend all day, every day in waders, then I understand. If you’re an Average Joe like the rest of us, then you’re just not going to get your money out them.

Feel free to disagree, of course. I will, however, leave you with this: the waders I wear now cost me $65 and were a closeout from Orvis. They’ve kept me bone dry for several seasons, are comfortable and doggone it, they look good. I’m just sayin’...

No comments:

Post a Comment